Coldwell Banker Gosslee would like to make your move as smooth as possible. We have compiled a list to help you remember everything, even the little things, when making your move.
Two Months Before Your Move
- Get moving quotes if you are planning on using a professional mover.
- If you need a rental truck for a "do-it-yourself-move," we provide our buyers and sellers with a complimentary Coldwell Banker Gosslee Moving Truck. Just let your agent know that you would like to be put on the schedule.
- Visually prepare or design a floor plan for your furniture in your new home.
- Create a list for inventory of your belongings. This is helpful in preparing a garage or moving sale.
- Keep all of your paperwork concerning the move in one file, so nothing is lost or misplaced.
- Transfer all school records for your children.
- Finalize your decision on a mover.
- If time permits, prepare your new home for arrival. (New paint, new locks, etc.)
- Consider your children in the move. Plan ahead by checking out our Moving with Children Guide.
- Consider your pets in the move. Plan ahead by checking out our Moving with Pets Guide.
One Month Before Your Move
- Change your address with the USPS - you can do this online.
- Change you address with the IRS - you can do this online.
- Make any travel arrangements where you will need an airline, train, hotel, bus or car rental.
- Research the area into which you will be moving for clubs, civic organizations and churches, so that you can change your membership.
- Contact medical and dental offices to receive records, asking these professionals for referrals and continuing prescriptions.
- Establish a new checking account.
- Research local laws about home-based businesses and business licenses if you own or operate your own business.
- Make an inventory list of all of your belongings.
- Arrange for your pets to be transported.
- Use up or finish and discard household items so that there is less to pack and move.
Two Weeks Before Your Move
- Forward your magazines to your new address.
- Forward your newspaper to your new address or cancel subscription if moving out of town.
- Forward your all-other mail items to your new address.
- Contact all of your utilities and change your service to your new address.
- Organize those helping you on the day of the move.
- Confirm all travel reservations you have made.
- If moving appliances, make sure they are inspected before the move.
- Pack all clean clothing.
- Close your bank accounts, making sure you have ample cash for the move. The remainder of the funds should be transferred to your new bank.
- Keep important documents and valuables close at hand during the move.
- Prepare for the move of any infant or small children.
- Review your insurance policy for coverage during your move.
- Provide relatives with your travel information.
- Defrost your freezer and refrigerator.
Moving Day Has Arrived!
- Do a final walk through of the home to make sure all of your belongings have been removed.
- Be sure to take control of all personal items that are valuable or important to you during the move.
- You may want to purchase travelers checks instead of cash during the move.